View Single Post
Old 2006-06-27, 03:30   Link #76
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Eh, Japanese music on the whole really doesn't interest me—I think a lot of exciting musical movements are going on in other places in the world. Or, it might be more accurate to say that Japanese music has been ruined for my by exposure to some pretty crap stuff... and anime fans tend to not be particularly discerning about music from Japan.

All that said, Mono are from Japan, and also happen to be very good post-rock. To get a feel for their sound, just check out the first track from their latest album "Are You There" entitled "The Flames Beyond the Cold Mountain." Fantastic.

I also enjoy The Brilliant Green from time to time, and Tommy February6/Heavenly6 appeals to me from a self-aware, style experiment point of view.

If anyone's really cracked the Japanese indie scene (if there even is one), please recommend me some bands I might like. Favorite sounds from other places of the world include: Joni Mitchell, Sigur Rós, Boards of Canada, Mogwai, The Decemberists, Belle & Sebastian, Imogen Heap, Kings of Convenience, etc.