View Single Post
Old 2010-11-11, 04:43   Link #99
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

This is what I translated the Korean translation of interview on New type (probably inacurate, but whatever.);

Quote:
-NT: What provided you a momentum for creating [Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica?

Shinbo: Producer Iwakami Atsuhiro from Aniplex first made a proposal for making [Mahou Shoujo] series. Iwakami lent me Urobuchi's novel, [Fate/Zero], and asked me [How about Urobuchi's script and Aoki's Character?], which left me surprised.

Urobuchi: It was project with talented, excellent members gathered, I was thinking to express things I can do only in this opportunity, without any regret. Although this is the first time writing script for the entire series, right after the first meeting, the plan that I requested just saying [How about this kind of story?] got a 'Go' sign (accepted) without any trouble, and script was also completed without any alteration at the stage of 1st draft. It's even in degree that I was worried whether it is ok to go this smoothly.

-NT: The theme is [Mahou Shoujo Anction] Genre, so what kind of mahou shoujo will be introduced in [Madoka☆Magica]?

Urobuchi: They are cute girls. I was trying hard to make these girls cute. (laugh) The mahou shoujos I know is the ones who transform into touring guide or adult-looking mahou shoujo etc. But, it will be problem these days, drawing mahou shoujo who can solve any problem with swinging around the magic staffs. In contrast, if we say [Mahou Shoujo Action] Genre, there are [Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha] and [Precure series] which performed a meritorious did for mahou shoujo. It is a genre that is already established firmly, so I don't think it is very hard.

-NT: What people are anxious about is the direction of the screen, we have a lot of expectation on the fact that it is original SHAFT production.

Shinbo: We are yet to know what we will get. (Laugh) For example, there is a scene that mirror is covering entire surface of the wall, we don't know how mirrors will be reflected before actually drawing key frames and take a shot. It is a series about characters living in the world like that. It can be story of 5 minutes or 10 minutes future.

Urobuchi: When I heard [We don't know what image we will get], I was also very anticipated. Shinbo does not care about the length of script or the number of scenes. I have been thinking arbitrarily that animation is [Creating theme and script calculating back from the completed image], but you cannot do this reverse operation for SHAFT's production method. It's like stage play; they add fleshes to their work with improvised ad-libs time to time.

Shinbo: It is a method that was only possible due to the solidified core of the script and gathering of talented staffs. Believing these staffs, I want to challenge this.
Pretty much what sirn said.