Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-28, 12:46   Link #5793
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
I enjoy Top Chef and The Amazing Race though. I think these types of reality shows are good.
I'd agree with you if it were back during its first few seasons (when it was filled with more desirable stories/people/competition), now it just feels tired.

Overall reality TV is ethically and morally reprehensible. Then again that wasn't even much a bother to me in the early days of this reality TV 2000s boom. Heck I loved watching Jackass, Viva la Bam, American idol, Survivor, The Amazing Race, all of it (I still hated the Real World though). All reality TV has done now is become stale and less "realistic" than it ever has been. Lots of shows often feel contrived, as if the winner is already predetermined (in which some cases that may very well be true). Everything is copied off what has worked before, but with very poor results.

Jackass was great at what it did, but after it's success along came the copycats and they lacked (in my opinion) the quality of "over-the-top stupidity" that jackass had. These shows actually seemed less real than Jackass (which is very wierd to say the least). American Idol is a huge shell of what it used to be and I don't even bother to watch Survivor. Just none of it holds any interest to me like it used to and there is just too much of it these days.