Thread: Proposal Forum Reorganization
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-06, 20:01   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm okay in concept with combining some of the sections, but part of the idea of breaking it up is, as was alluded before, to allow certain topics to flourish that currently are being restrained.

For example, the reason to call out "events and conventions" specifically is to encourage people to post about those. Right now, it's sort of inconsistent as to whether people do or don't post about them because they may get buried between other topics.

The reason for calling out the Likes/Dislikes/Favourites/etc. is because some people really like those threads and others don't, so this allows a section where all those threads can exist and people who don't care for them can avoid them.

"Suggestions, Recommendations and Identification" is basically the same as now with the Identification Sticky moved there. (No, I don't think we should do one thread per request.)

The "General Anime Topics" at the top is just a header. I wasn't thinking that it would be an actual forum, just a container to host other forums. And that's why we had "Other" in that General Anime (since that'd be the forum we have now).

I have to admit that my theory is that with a clearer scope (and looser rules within that scope), the pace in each section could be acceptable. While I get that lumping all threads into a single forum causes things to move more quickly, it also gets messy and ill-defined.

If we think of the anime section as those 5 parts:
- News/Events/Conventions
- Companies/People/Metrics
- Suggestions/Recommendations/Identification
- Likes/Dislikes/Contest/Favourites
- Everything else

...and if we allow a bit freer thread creation in some of those sections (so that it's more fluid), I think there is enough active conversation (or at least can be) for each of these sections.

(Or, put it this way, I think the potential for conversation in those broad topics is no less than what it is when an anime series gets a sub-forum.)