View Single Post
Old 2010-04-14, 03:55   Link #142
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4545 View Post
Your initial point was that Haruhi has never displayed the ability to "create something out of nothing". I countered with a reference to the ponytail quote because it occurred when Haruhi created a completely new universe that consisted of only herself and Kyon. I thought the reference would be obvious, but I clearly overestimated your knowledge of the series.

If you actually believe that there was no visible sign that Yuki was breaking down during endless eight, I seriously think you're just seeing what you want to see.

I can point to numerous screen caps that blatantly show Yuki being visibly depressed by the ordeal. There is also the fact that Kyon freaking mentions how "Nagato doesn't look right" and asks her "are you okay?" EVERY FREAKIN EPISODE of EE!

Seriously, for a guy who can nitpick and whine about the most trivial and superficial of details about the disappearance movie, I am completely dumbfounded by your lack of attention to really basic plot points already established in the series.

Well, that's just, like, your OPINION, man.

The charm of Haruhi's character has never been dependent upon whether or not she was "God" or not. Koizumi was just throwing out a hypothesis when he referenced Haruhi as "God" anyway. People just latched on to his hypothesis because it was the easiest to understand.

Again, this is your opinion. I've always considered "Haruhiism" as an inside joke between Haruhi fans. I doubt anyone really takes it that seriously, but then again I might be projecting.

Well this speaks more about your obsession with moe more than anything else.

Spoiler for movie spoilers:

Spoiler for movie spoilers:

We've already gone through this. Haruhi has the unique ability to create vast amounts of data out of nothing, and has already displayed this ability. Nagato and the Data Entity, have never shown the capacity to create data out of nothing, and have admitted to being incapable of doing so. For this reason, the Data Entity wants to OBSERVE Haruhi so that they can learn more about her unique skills. Brain-washing her into oblivion such that she doesn't have her powers anymore doesn't help them achieve their goal.
For all the explaining about how so apparently unaware I am of the series canon (it's not that I don't understand or follow it, it's just that I don't really accept how it tries to simplify metaphysics and utilize them in an otaku-marketed package. Like for example implying but never really stating or bother to define that/how creation is different and beyond the grasp of time/space manipulation or where creation starts and manipulation ends) it amazes me how people still don't get what I'm trying to say about a controlled experiment.

The Data Entity wouldn't have to cancel out her powers, it could press her into a controlled reality where it can induce her use of them. Why is this so hard to understand? I'm not saying it's definite that it would or should, but that since it could I don't understand why it has to send Nagato and Asakura and rope Kyon, Koizumi and Mikuru into this whole grand scheme. Do you see what I'm saying? It means there's little reason for this entire absurd SOS-Dan scenario to exist as it does except that I guess now Kyon wants it too.

These are the problems you run into when you try to run a metaphysical influenced series and then simplify the heck out of the concept to fit what are pretty much just popular tropes and scenarios. You get a lot of what-ifs, woulds, coulds and questions that ought to be answered before you can start building any attachment to the scenario. It's not even that it's all that complex, it's just a case of mysterious character/plotting syndrome where the appeal/hook is supposed to be in denying the information the viewer would need to sort out the full extent of the series canon. However it's a style of writing and plotting that serves to frustrate more than build attachment when utilized as long as it has been with the franchise (the equivalent of about 35 episodes) while still failing to make any progress in defining why things are the way they are in this universe. It also makes me feel that they haven't really put too much thought into the metaphysical and concepts side of the series and are just using them to be trendy. All turnoffs....

Try and take it this way, a lot of people spend time going over how they are so attached to this series and how much the events and emotions mean to them, I'm basically doing the opposite and going over and trying to explain the reasons why I still haven't been able to build a complete attachment to Haruhi when I know the potential is there. There are still just too few moments of what I would call true breakthrough cleverness and dialogue amidst a lot of otaku pandering fair (what will Haruhi dress Mikuru up in next? Haruhi being brazen about undressing, look at Yuki blush etc.) and Kyonic sarcasm, self-commentary and moping that is just going to result in him doing whatever best helps the SOS-Dan and his friends there anyway.

By the way, the Kyonic Sarcasm and moping I felt dominated the tone of this series far to much during it's near 2 and a 3/4 hours. There are entire stretches of this film that, now that I think of it, were just long rambling soliloquy's about how messed up everything is. I kind of like to see less present tense talking and coping and a little more doing and progression if the anime series is going to continue on from here lest the series concepts really start to become stale.