View Single Post
Old 2010-04-16, 14:43   Link #157
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The hard part about progression in Haruhi is that the first season jumped all over the place in 2006. You miss the progression at first because you aren't sure what is happening. In 2009 you can see the progression with everying in order and a few blanks filled in. By the time the movie ends...there has been progression. It might not be earth shattering (though again it might be), but it is there.

While Haruhi is the title character....Kyon is the main character. And while it might seem like he's not progressed, he has. He went from someone who was sort of depressed that the things he believe in as a child weren't real and he had to give them up to grow up, to being interested in this weird girl that believed in the things he use to like, to being pulled around by said girl and subject to her will, to finding out those things he use to believe in are, in some ways real, to denial, cynical, and snarky about the whole thing. To why me, to anger over the situation, to general acceptance of his fate, to "Do you want to be normal?" to "Hell no, I like things to be weird and crazy"...which is where he stands now.

Also his view of Haruhi has changed...but then his view on all the club members has changed. It is telling how he treats Haruhi's punishment at the end compared to at the beginning of the film.

Also his view of Yuki. That's a harder one to pin down. You can see more or less what he's thinking...but yet...there are a lot of images that suggest regret or perhaps dual meaning. That relationship...such as it is...also seems to progress.

Mikuru seems to be a constant however. At least for now.
There certainly is development, and we can appreciate that. But we also need to consider over the span of these episodes and movie over 4 years is: Is that it? Was that really worth it?

For some it is. But for those that don't nearly appreciate the characters as much and would like answers on the actual plot and setting it might not be; for a non fan the movie is gonna fall out of their area of expectations. Each to their own. I found Kaioshin Sama's review to be pretty amusing, even if I don't agree with some of it. It was more thoughtful and honest and actually tried to explain itself. Heck, my reviews contain more sarcasm, though I guess it's the playful kind.

Everyone seems to be enjoying the movie to some degree or another, and I'll watch it in a theater in a month. I will enjoy it regardless. So all is well.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews