View Single Post
Old 2013-05-22, 15:06   Link #1535
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They wanted more conflict in the Solo family. First Chewbacca, then Anakin. Crushes Han and Leia up emotionally. Then there is the twins. I have no idea why they went that route with Jacen, though I get the feeling it might have been a call from on high about Episode VII related stuff. Rumors suggest that there will be a female protaganist. The likelihood is Jaina Solo, but to do that you need to remove the brothers.
Uh, wrong on all accounts. ^^ I've been a very active member on the TheForce.net for many years ( though not lately ), and everything you just said is not remotely true.

a.) They wanted to show that heroes are not invincible, i.e. make Star Wars darker than it had been under Bantam. Originally it was Jacen to be killed in Star by Star, but they changed their mind after George Lucas said that he did not want somebody else who is named Anakin to be the big hero of the NJO. Which is why this turned out so badly, because they had built up Anakin to the big next thing ( very successfully so ) and Jacen and his "do nothing, because doing anything is interfering with the will of the Force" idiotic philosophy could not be squared with the necessary proactivity of a protagonist hero.

b.) At the time when Jacen turned dark and was killed, nobody even knew of episode VII. It mostly was done because they had hinted for years that Jacen had come back "wrong" from his stint with the Yuuzhan Vong. And because a lot of fans hated the character, though the same fans were unhappy about the way he was offed.

c.) The new movies will be original stories and have nothing to do with the current EU, as far as we know. Any connection between the two is complete conjecture at this point.