Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 17:10   Link #22040
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
He also did not blackmail member states into the brink of destruction, he disciplined his country's bankers, and cooperated with France and England, instead of dictating their policies. He also stimulated growth in a destroyed former communist country that joined the union, and along with the french social democrats set the course for a democratic unification.
I really don't feel it's a useful comparison. The situations are too different. We had such hopes for Europe back then. Now, we have to deal with the fact it somehow didn't protect us from a global economic crisis. That the mechanisms to do so aren't even in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
You and me, since I was paying taxes for the Greek bailout in both Greece and Germany. On the other hand, I was having some of the advantages that the German private sector enjoyed by that imbalance.

It's not fair for the German tax-payers... I agree, but it's also not fair for all F-PIIGS + Cyprus that have to do the same and disproportionally to Germans... and finally politicians begin to realize that the austerity imposed is magnifying the original problem.
True, but saying austerity on its own worsens the problem isn't the same as saying things can continue as they have.