View Single Post
Old 2010-12-05, 19:49   Link #5517
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
In fairness, the use of ellipses (or perhaps ellipses-like series of dots) in Japanese novels and manga is not used the same exact way as in English grammar. If anything, the most common number of dots (remember, a Japanese period is a small circle, not a dot, and the dots used are usually suspended at mid-height rather than resting at the bottom of a line--not like English punctuation!) I seem to encounter in raw Japanese-original manga is probably five. Should, when translating, this number be preserved, or changed to match proper English grammar? I'd normally argue the latter, but manga's use of 5-point pseudo-ellipses to indicate being speechless, for leading sentence endings, or to indicate a pregnant pause is a stylistic device that deserves more consideration based upon context.

That said, I am not an expert in Japanese grammar and style, these are just my own inferences.

Similarly, with a visual/sound novel, I think that it boils down to a matter of translator preference for literal translation of this kind of nuance or not. I think the Witch Hunt team are treating it fine, considering.

I do have my own pedantic grammar/translation style quibbles but they aren't worth mentioning and are more a matter of personal taste more or less.

In Japanese, 。is a period and ... is an ellipse. 。。。 is technically incorrect punctuation usage because 。 is a sentence final marker only.
Then again, if I'm going to be grammar-nazi here, か? is technically redundant as well, but everyone uses it so it has become "correct".
In traditional writing, there are no question marks.
It doesn't really matter though, and you can do whatever you want because it's not really standardized.
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote