Thread: Licensed Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 15:03   Link #2344
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Elena was actually only present for one Scub Burst, as Eureka took her out of 1981 before that first one happened. I also don't agree that being near Scub Burst = exposure to massive amounts of trapar. But accepting your theory, Ivica should be able to pilot an IFO since he was right on top of the largest Scub Burst in history and has spent a great deal of time around Scub Coral.
Eureka grabbed her because it would have killed her, therefore it must have either been happening or was seconds away from happening. Even so, she was in the aftermath of at least one.

Ivica wasn't near a Scub Burst. Eureka took off with the Quartz and prevented it. He's also an adult whose brain has long since finished developing. Children are susceptible because theirs have not.

As for actual Scub Bursts causing trapar, look at episode 20. The first thing Ao notices after the Quartz explosion is trapar leaking from the door. Being in two such events would expose Elena to a lot of trapar in concentrations likely far higher than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
My larger issue with the reveal that Elena is a child of the '80s is that it doesn't work with what's come before it. There were lots of little hints throughout the series that Elena was from Eureka's future: intimating she could see trapar, Truth treating her differently, etc. Although those might be explained away, the big problem is her hair. Every character in this series AND the original has had normal-colored hair except for: Sakuya, Anemone, Eureka, Ao, and Elena. (I'm assuming Miller's hair was a wig/dyed) Two of these are 100% Coralian, one is 50% Coralian, one is genetically modified to be like a Coralian, and then there's is Elena, who comes from 1981. Okaaaay.
She's never said she could see trapar, and the one hint she gives to that effect is rather playful. Truth's treatment of her isn't that unusual. Gazelle held Truth at gunpoint and Truth didn't retaliate. As for her hair, that's the only unusual thing, and not so much that she must be from another world.