View Single Post
Old 2012-01-03, 13:11   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Bandai Ent. is sucks anyway. tbh its better for buyer if they closing down.

Sentai is the hottest player on the market now.
Soooooo, you're planning on finishing the Kannagi, TTGL, and Lucky Star manga franchises? Because that's the only way its "better for the buyer". We can hope Yen picks the titles up, I suppose.....

From the interview, these two points stuck out:
Quote:
The manga division, unfortunately, will not be so lucky. Kannagi, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass: Renya of Darkness, Mobile Suit Gundam OOI, Lucky Star Boo Boo Kabagoo and Tales of the Abyss: Jade in My Memories will all see their releases cut short. Their fate had not yet been determined at press time. "All we can confirm for sure is that those series are not going to be finished by us," Iyadomi says.
Quote:
Japanese publishers can now create Blu-rays with English subtitles, ready to import to English speakers worldwide. While those won't sell as many copies as American-produced discs, the higher price point and lack of middleman can still result in a decent amount of revenue with little additional cost. Bandai Visual Japan recently discovered this for themselves with their release of Gundam Unicorn. "They found the results pretty good, and that's how I think they would like to move forwards," Iyadomi says.
The Blu-ray regions mean that the Japan side can now produce product with english subtitles and directly market them to North America. They have seen results that make them happy (even with the higher price points). This is bad for "average teen consumer on a budget" who will have to resort to unauthorized rips rather than having the glorious packaging. But the key phrase is "makes them happy". The Bandai exec being interviewed made a point of how often what the licensor wanted was at direct odds with what the customer wanted.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-01-03 at 14:12.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote