View Single Post
Old 2012-08-08, 11:48   Link #6129
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
We've had several continuous-weeks without disposal services because the staff feels entitled to higher wages and better benefits and refuses to work. In a private company, they would simply be laid off and replaced. And they do this on a yearly basis. (1~2 weeks)

The employers would lose their profit when they don't deliver their services. Where the current public-sector system gets paid through our taxes without having to work according to any schedule or meet a quota.

Because private garbage removal service was illegal, every time they go on strike, we literally have 0 options to dispose of garbage ourselves. It's also a hefty fine for illegal dumping ($2000). People resorted to feeding their garbage into lawn mowers and pour it down their toilet to get rid of the garbage. This isn't like bus services where we can at least walk to our destinations. The city seems to stop functioning once there's a strike.

I also heard that one of the major things the current mayor promised that got him to being elected. It seems like everyone is sick of it. I actually don't live in Toronto but it's right on the other side of the street. So I never had the full experience of their garbage frustrations.

When a garbage strike happens here, many public services close because they don't want to create more garbage. And then we start zoning parks, sports fields and playgrounds as temporary landfill. Then we get disease/infestation problems.

I haven't witnessed any failures with privatization. Telecommunication for one is a huge industry that I am glad isn't part of the public sector. Another is construction/design that I am a part of.
How much are your sanitary engineers paid? Over here, I feel that higher wages are fine for them because they are only paid S$600 per month the last time I heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I will be away for 16 days starting from the 1st of September to embark on an European tour. What worries me most is my passport and my credit card. Please suggest to me the best way to keep them safe. Some of my friends suggest a pouch, but is that safe enough?
Carry a fountain pen, a sharp nib pen or a nail file. Keep the pen beside your wallet, so when you reach for it, you can grab and alternative and swing at the poor bastard.

Either that, learn self-defence or don't carry a wallet/pouch to keep it incouspicious. Just stuff them in your pockets.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote