Old 2013-02-10, 10:34   Link #31878
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum12 View Post
Even though
Spoiler for spoiler from EP 5:
, something just doesn't seem to add up regarding them supposedly
Spoiler for spoiler from EP 5:

Please keep in mind that my argument is based on the manga adaptation. Excuse my paranoia regarding spoilers, even if I'm doing a scientific discussion. It is my personal belief that the stakes
Spoiler for spoiler for theory purposes:
. As evidence for my argument, I bring in the concept of sectional density. In summary, sectional density is a measurement of the theoretical destructive potential of a piercing weapon. However, this formula is only ever practically used for relatively low velocity piercing weapons (such as spears, darts, etc). The formula for calculating SD is ((weight)/(diameter^2)). Diameter is measured from the widest point of the business end of the weapon in question (the pointy end). The units used for diameter are inches for future reference.

Based on the manga, the stakes appear to be about 1-1.5 feet long and weigh about 1 pound. The business end appears to have the width of a typical cross bow bolt, which is usually about 0.37 inches. Plugging these numbers in, we get (1)/(0.37^2) = (1)/(0.1369) = 7.305.

7.3 doesn't seem very large, but put into appropriate context, those numbers are horrifying. A result greater than 0.9 is
Spoiler for potential spoiler of EP5 by proxy:
. An example weapon with this number, are some ice age era darts that have been found, nick named "mammoth killers". A heavy for example has a SD of about 2. An example of a weapon with a SD of over 7 is the WW1 "trench spike". This little terror is essentially a specialized dagger (varying from 1-1.5 feet long and being anywhere from 1-1.4 pounds) that was
Spoiler for potential EP 5 spoiler by proxy:
. Alas, they're pretty rare now a days.
I think the problems with the stakes can be that they likely aren't sharp, that they might not be so strong not to break should they used in such way (was it ever mentioned of which material they're made?) and that to get stabbed so deeply with apparently one single blow you need quite a good amount of strenght.
So maybe using the 'stake shooting gun' Battler theorized existing or if you're as strong as him, you might get a successful kill but I doubt Yasu is that strong and I'm not sure Knox would allow the existence of a stake shooting gun.

So, even if a stake might theoretically kill, I think the solution offered in Our Confession is the best one.

The stake becomes the way to hide the true way in which the victim had been killed. After all the novel says that magic involving guns is weak so it makes sense that Beato is trying to hide the fact she used guns by making it look like she used stakes.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote