View Single Post
Old 2011-02-21, 06:55   Link #526
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, I think that you greatly overestimate the weight of those actions, because you're putting more emphasis on subjective and far from infallible character reactions than on the core facts of the matter.

Fact: The appearance and shape of Sayaka's body is completely unchanged. At least so far.

Fact: Sayaka's capacity for human emotion and feeling is completely unchanged.

Fact: Sayaka is still able to hug other people and cry, as demonstrated by this episode.

Fact: Sayaka still thinks as a human does. So does Kyoko. So did Mami. Only Homura seems a bit off here.

Fact: Sayaka is still able to go through her day-to-day life as though nothing has changed, with the only exception being the addition of her magical girl activities, of course. This is seen by how Sayaka attends school this episode, and the school day goes by as normal for her and her classmates (aside from the commotion that Kamijo's return caused, of course).

So how exactly has Sayaka been dehumanized in any relevant way? Fact is, she hasn't been. Her body may have been made sturdier and/or slower than what it was before, but that doesn't dehumanize her. I mean, to say that would be like saying that someone who takes steroids dehumanizes himself or herself by doing so.
So you consider her view of her own self-worth to be too subjective to consider? Being able to hug and kiss people? If you finish that quote you can see she means that figuratively. Since you want to state her emotional range and interpret her personal thoughts, a subjective assessment I'm sure you'd agree, as a fact:
Fact!:She spent a whole day depressed in bed about this!
Fact!:She considers her current state of being as dead!
Fact!:She cut her pain off from her body when Elsa Marie was tearing into her body!

What do drugs even have to do with this? Her soul exists in a container and her body is just a doll she manipulates. What is not dehumanizing about not being human? If she doesn't consider herself to be human, why should your "facts" matter?

Quote:
Then you're not disagreeing with me, but rather agreeing with me. All I'm saying is you have to consider every character's perspective, not just "the victims".

So of course we should consider the situation from Sayaka's perspective. But we should also consider it from Kamijo's perspective, and we should also consider it from Hitomi's perspective (Hitomi being someone who would probably be dead right now if not for Sayaka's choice to become a magical girl), and we should also consider it from Homura's perspective (Homura being someone who said that Kyubey does not consider his own actions to be cruel, which if accurate obviously rules out evil intent on Kyubey's part), etc..., etc...
I was elaborating on Sayaka's breakdown which you rather unconveniently cut up and replied to in several different quotes. Why would you want me to evaluate one character's train of thought through the perspective of every character?

Quote:
Sayaka and Madoka are, but Kyoko seems to already be over it, and not care about it anymore. So why aren't you considering Kyoko's perspective as much as you are Sayaka's? Why aren't you saying "Well, maybe Sayaka is overreacting, given how well Kyoko is coping with it"?

I'm not going to consider Sayaka's perspective the only one worth considering here. That would be incredibly narrow-minded, in my view.

Wait, who are the three characters?

I only see 2 being disturbed for any significant length of time. Those two being Madoka and Sayaka.

That's just what Sayaka thinks. Just like Mami thought she never had time for friends, which seems extremely dubious to me given how Sayaka has time for school.
Madoka, Sayaka, and Kyoko. Your "significant length of time" is your own subjective opinion. It was disturbing enough to Kyoko to make her treat Sayaka kindly and even offer her food instead of KILLING her, which she was still trying to do the night before.

And yes, what you quoted from me is just what Sayaka thinks. I said I was going by Sayaka's perspective to make a case for why she would think Kyubey would be evil.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote