Thread: Licensed Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-22, 20:00   Link #62
Doria

I believe the monks were not referring to Tendou in that bit of dialogue using the feminine personal prounouns. However, I'm relieved that others had difficulty discerning Tendou's gender also because even after watching it probably around 7-8 times, I was *still* fairly confused on the point.

I agree with what Wao and others mentioned about both the cinematography/storyboarding and the attention detail in terms of creating the world. The episode really doesn't linger particularly on the city's brutality, but it is there in every facet, and not just in the supernatural ones. Lots of nifty shots that are framed in ways one typically only sees in movies (whether animated or live-action).

I also agree that the pace was a bit frenetic, but I'm personally hoping that they'll slow down a bit and flesh out the characters more in episodes to come. I'll enjoy watching for the action, but there's waaay too much dialogue for so little character development. Still, with the exception of the requisite (and yet simultaneously fairly unhelpful) exposition scene, it never felt overly chatty--and that's good, as there's little I tend to dislike more than a supposedly shounen anime that feels the need to natter on endlessly rather than getting with the action.

And hey, if the animation budget drops drastically, well, they can always use those episode for some character development, right?

(Thanks for the nice words from folks on our release. Nothing's ever perfect, but we'll keep doing our best. Threads like these help a lot, especially for me, as I've never played the games... though now I really want to! Demonbane is actually a very good comparison in terms of the experience of working on this episode, as that series, too, relied heavily on knowledge from the games, but was for me, at least, still enjoyable even without. Cyprene tells me I'll be fine, armed with my Persona 2 and Shin megami tensei knowledge for this one, but we'll have to see...)
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote