View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 17:29   Link #35
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. There is one big difference between Alto' and Ranka's way of thinking. Sure, they do both recognize they are not good enough but Ranka just accepts the fact and do nothing until someone poke her forehead while Alto never stops trying to be better.
You do remember that the reason Mikhail kept bugging Alto about running away was that the piloting thing was due to Alto rejecting family tradition and doing nothing about it except fleeing? Part of it, i suspect, is that he felt he wasn't good enough to ever satisfy his father despite being famed for his performances... or so the flashbacks suggest. This puts them closer together in attitude, until Sheryl starts pushing the two of them towards their own destinies.

Look at some of his lines earlier on, and even in episode 5, where he says he hates city-ships because the 'sky is too low', a comment he made all the way back in the beginning of episode 1. He wanted to fly to escape his father and his past, since he didn't think he could transcend either by staying on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Actually going by episode 9 I don't think he even knows why he's fighting atm and when he played Michael's comments in his head again it was images of his father, not Ranka that flashed through his mind. (AltoxFather ending confirmed!) Sheryl also asked him why he joined SMS in that episode, he didn't/couldn't answer her, Michael or himself on why he did. While Ranka played a part I don't think it's as clear cut as you think it is otherwise it wouldn't have been brought up to much in episode 9 and I expect it to be brought up again.
Y'know, this supports my point more than some other posts I've made have. Thank you. Although he jumped into the cockpit to protect Ranka, and then went psycho after seeing a Vajra in Episode 4 (again thinking back to Ranka)... that wasn't why he flew initially. Now, he's flying partly because he WANTS to, and because it does protect the things important to him - his relationships with people outside the family, of which he has damned few. He's constantly rejected ties to others because they usually wanted to get to know him for his roles, or the roles he might play in the future, or due to his family... which is why he has a reputation of shooting down all the girls who've made advances on him at school (reference: Ep 5's locker room girls' conversation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
While Alto first gets into a VF to protect Ranka, I doubt that he would have simply watched and let anyone die, regardless of who it was. Could you point me to a specific scene where Alto says that he's piloting for Ranka's sake? And even if he is, then what does that have to do with developing a romantic interest on his part?
Episode 4, during the Vajra Emo incident - he's basically piloting to fight for her sake initially. Alto first flashes back to Ozma's explanation of Ranka's past (orphaned by Vajra), then to their second meeting (courtesy of the Vajra), then becomes Shinn Asuka for about 30 seconds. At the end of the episode, when Ranka asks why he joined SMS, he glanced at her for a moment, then went on to fold his plane muttering about the 'chance' it provided. It sounded something like an excuse there, since he probably didn't QUITE know why he was flying in the first place except as an escape.

Episode 5 was where he got his explanation of why he SHOULD fly - because it was something that he would keep trying to do, if he want meant to fly, as Sheryl sings and Klein fights in a Queadlunn-Rauu. Episode 6 shows him embracing that reason, which is probably why he ends up fighting like a madman next episode even as he feels himself out of his depth watching the supposedly slower, more sluggish Armored VF-25 outperforming him due to Ozma's skill and burning passion.

However, we're not sure if there's anything ROMANTIC on his side yet. I suspect his upbringing has confused his gender identity a tad.. or at least where romances are concerned, since I've yet to see him really think of any girl in a romantic way. Recognize sex appeal? Heck yes. Romantic interests? Not a whit - and he's actively chased away any girl who has, on the assumption they wanted Sakura-hime or a tie to the Saotome family.

Alto's quite fond of Ranka, and wants to protect and encourage her... but then again, so's Sheryl. Yet, at the same time, Alto's quite fond of Sheryl and feels free enough with her to argue and yell at her when he thinks she's wrong or being a bitch... but that doesn't imply love. Lust, quite possibly - she's quite sexy, but not necessarily love there either.

However, the foundations FOR love have been laid between those two... and Ranka's busily trying to set up foundations for herself and Alto, now she's starting to recognize that she was jealous at the mall, then at the "Legend of Zero" shoot.