Thread: Licensed BLACK ROCK SHOOTER TV series
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 08:42   Link #1064
silvercover
Romance Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoCat View Post
I'd draw a distinction between physical pain and psychological pain (note: my Japanese isn't good enough to have caught whether different words were used in the original dialogue - maybe someone can comment?). In the real world, the psychological damage Yuu received at the hands of others goes unpunished, whereas the only response available to her - physical violence - would have been ineffectual or quickly curtailed. In the Otherworld, the freedom to act without thinking, to inflict suffering on others, even if physical pain were possible or even certain, would be incredibly cathartic for someone with Yuu's background. Ep.7 suggests, for me, the reason for Yuu's smile after the fire in Ep.6; it was a smile of "You know, don't you? This is what I wanted to do. I'm stoic on the outside, but inside there's a terrible fury waiting to escape."
pretty much this. this is why I didnt find yuu's attitude that weird/inconsistent, while finding her pretty awesome.

physical pain heals within minutes in the otherworld(as we clearly see), while psychological pain lasts a long time wherever you are(as IRL). plus, we dont actually see yuu's character in the flashback as someone who's doing things(or rather, not doing anything with her situation) "because she's nice". feels a lot more to me as "someone who has given up on life".
it brings quite a contrast with mato's own situation and way of coping.
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote