View Single Post
Old 2010-12-29, 20:03   Link #1205
flmd

Hey guys. I haven't read this whole thread, but I just wanted to pop in and say hello and link to an excellent resource for beginners and intermediate players about riichi.

check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Mah-Jong-Handb...3669883&sr=1-7

It's called Mahjong Handbook: How to Play, Score, and Win.

While it gives out basic mahjong information and touches on the various rule sets, it is pretty much geared towards to the Japanese rules. There are chapters on making ready, offensive and defensive strategy, luck vs skill, and so much more. This is probably the best book on Mahjong out there...I found it in the games section of my local BnN after I finished watching Saki, Akagi, and Tetsuya. I rushed to find the first book on MJ that I could find, and I was lucky enough to grab perhaps the best one on the subject. I've actually reread it twice more now and I have no doubt I'll be referencing it and reading selective chapters again in the future. It's that good.

I read this book and ended up winning the Mahjong Time November RCR Global Mahjong Tournament as a complete beginner; I didn't even have a brown belt on my green belt at that time (my alias is ditn. look me up on MT if any of you happen to play there). I was going up against black belts (20,000 rating or higher on MT), multiple time tournament winners, bigshots, and basically some of the best players in the world and somehow I managed to win. While a large part of it was luck, this book really helped me up my game, especially in "pressure situations", making ready, and in my defensive play.

I really like MT, but since everyone is on tenhou, I decided to investigate it a little bit. The fact that it is in entirely Japanese is a big hurdle, as well as the completely different set up. I read that translation website posted on the first few pages and logged on and played a few hands. I ended up calling a few things accidentally, missed a ron, and I made a few other stupid screw-ups simply because it's entirely new to me and I didn't know which buttons did what. I look forward to learning tenhou.net better and playing some of you guys eventually.

I'm going to be competing in the January Mahjong Time RCR GMT on New Year's Day if anyone here is going to be playing. I doubt I'll replicate my miraculous first place finish as a complete newbie though.

I have some topics/situations that I want to ask you guys about, but that can wait for another day.
flmd is offline   Reply With Quote