View Single Post
Old 2008-11-19, 21:59   Link #854
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Because it is regarded as a gadget for those who want to hide their identities and emotions from others. It can be a specific symbol of, say, criminals or celebrities (or silly wanna-bies of them). It may be kakkoii, but showing off others that you want to be thought to be kakkoii is never kakkoii, is it?

After all, I have never felt I really need sunglasses in the life in Japan; I am racially typical Japanese, namely black-eyed, which means I have stronger resistance against the risk of eye-cancer caused by ultraviolet sunlight. My (normal) glasses have the protection against ultraviolet in addition. The humid air in Monsoon Asia does not pass direct sunbeams so much that you have no difficulty in viewing everything even in summer without the help of sunglasses unless under special occasion (e.g. near water).
*looks at her own pair of shades*

Can't say I've ever noticed, nor realised there is an actual perception to shades in Japan.
The days have been gloriously bright and sunny in the last 3 weeks, I was kicking myself for not taking my shades cause it was bright.
Not to mention, I've seen quite a few girls in Shibuya or Shinjuku area wearing big fat types lately, just figured it part of their outfit (which imo is usually kinda crazy, lol)
Still, if i'm to go out on a lovely bright day without my hat to screen my eyes, i'll most likely wear them as i would back home, since that pair has the UV protection in it rather than my normal pair.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote