View Single Post
Old 2012-10-22, 06:21   Link #93
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Not many people (i am not just limiting to little girls, because the point of the premise is the magical world)who gets sucked in a magical world in animes? Fuushi Yuugi, Inuyasha, Tsubasa Chronicles (although it's not completely entirely out of nowhere), Dog Days, Rayearth, sengoku otome and i could go on >_>

It's true that it has been less common these days, but that does not mean it's not overused in animes.

As for more western fiction, this has been more overused. From literature like Narnia to even children cartoons like captain N. There are many more examples but it's easy enough without my help.
I think what Triple_R meant was that a premise like that isn't as restricted as let's say, a High School Romcom Harem so in essence, Spirited Away really isn't the "best" anime to explain what an anime that has the "execution effect" since it's fairly out there in terms of what it is and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Any premise has a potentially massive scope, since we're talking about fiction and an author can do whatever the hell he pleases with his work.
I'd disagree with this especially, as I said above, when it comes to premises like a high school romance or even a shonen battle series. An author can do whatever the hell he pleases but with an overcrowded genre/premise, he'll have to look for different routes or use the route in a more refined way to be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
I don't consider Aria inferior to LOGH or Mind Game for example, they're completely different beasts. Saying that one or the other is better because its "premise" was better by definition strikes me as very obtuse.
This is exactly where the "execution effect" comes into play or imo what you enjoyed better.