View Single Post
Old 2010-07-05, 14:30   Link #12935
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Well with the 3 years thing I always took that as meaning George was prepared to make his own Zaibatsu outside of the Ushiromiya family in that span of three years since he said he wanted to build up a big family right? Or did he say that he likes women that are good with kids? I can't remember. Either way that was how I interpreted it.
Like I said, this works perfectly fine, until you consider the possible reactions Shannon has to face in workplace, and the fact that George will have to face three years of drilling by his mother every bloody morning because he still lives with his parent, doesn't he. Giving the ring and not making it public is pointless. But making it public creates an unbalanced situation, it's like asking to get your future marriage torpedoed. While open resistance by Eva may be quelled one way or another, I see no way to stop the covert resistance. No matter how kingly an ass, it can still be soundly kicked by superior forces or pure domestic passive-aggressive measures. And don't tell me that Eva can't be passive-aggressive, I bet the notes on the fridge in the morning would be enough to break anyone's heart alone.

Getting the headship by solving the epitaph right there and then would be the only practical way to destroy all opposition that I can think of, but I see no indication that George was ever any close to the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
The other way you can interpret it. Is that the ring being mentioned is the heads ring. Since these are the only two rings mentioned. And that George is giving it to her or vice versa (Shannon proposed to George in the other case)
This has been proposed before and while I agree there might be something to this idea, I don't like it. There's no clear indication that the head ring is involved, no reason for George to wait three years if he has actual headship, and if he doesn't the ring is, well, just a ring, symbolic but that's it. Not to mention Hideyoshi actually seeing the ring would become supremely puzzling.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote