View Single Post
Old 2012-02-13, 13:09   Link #27841
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao Ni Ma View Post
Its pretty clear what RK07 wanted to do with Genji. The "traditional" servant role as explained by Carr. The problem is that he goes around and makes Genji a needed accomplice in just about every story. I guess his justification for that would be that he's a robot so he does whatever he's told to do. RK07 just forgot that people like this aren't interesting accomplices or culprits.
The other problem is that him being a robotic accomplice is never explained. Okay, so he owes Kinzo his life, more or less. We could've guessed as much. But why would that loyalty transfer (1) to Kinzo's heir, to whom Genji owes no particular debt beyond perhaps helping to raise them, and (2) why would it extend to things as unsavory as helping someone commit murder? Assuming Genji even knows about it - which, I'd hope he does not, but I can't say for sure based on Our Confessions and the like - to actually agree with the plan requires a hell of a lot more motive than we're getting.

Genji's 50 year gap is like Yasu's 2 year gap in terms of establishing motive. Yeah, perhaps they could have become people who are cool with murder in all that time, but I didn't actually see it, so I have no reason to believe they are.

This is much easier, of course, if neither of them ever planned to murder anyone, as it deftly makes both Yasu and Genji's motives irrelevant (since they had none).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misuzu View Post
Kanon honestly felt like a waste of a character at the end, even though I loved the "zero in your roulette wheel" scene.

When I try to look it up, I see that the age to work in Japan is 15, but I don't know if that was true in the 80's. I also think it's possible that the Ushiromiyas could've found a way around it, seeing as they were wealthy and influential. Since it was done through the orphanage, they could've treated it like an education program or something? It's hard to theorize much without a better understanding of laws at that time.
I'm not even 100% sure Fukuin isn't a female-only orphanage. If it is, you'd think somebody would've said something about it though.

But yeah, I agree with the sentiment. Kanon was wasted (but still more interesting than a lot of of the younger cast, including and especially Shannon and Jessica), and the kids aren't anywhere near as interesting as the parents. The difference between the parents and the servants is the parents got some real development. I wanted a lot more about Genji, Nanjo, and Kumasawa. A whole hell of a lot more.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote