View Single Post
Old 2008-05-29, 02:09   Link #239
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
-Sheryl breaks down during her concert due to stress

-Sheryl trashes half of the school just for her panty

Just these two points alone I think pretty much negate your point of Sheryl being perfect. There's also several traits and perks of Sheryl's character definitely doesn't make her perfect at all.

Now, Belldandy is the epitome and definition of perfect which unfortunately makes her character now so dreadfully boring.
I don't think you entirely got my point. The reason why Sheryl is 'perfect' to me and to characters like Ranka is that she is adaptable. Nothing ever gets her down for long and she is always on the move whether it's her potential love life, making new friends, getting familiar with Frontier or dealing with war, loss, stress, etc. Compare that to Ranka just going into a shell and going by a small-time producer doing meager jobs to get by. Everything Sheryl does is at mach speed in comparison. I think a lot of it is credited to her personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He'd still be studying to be a pilot, though.

And leaving it all up to destiny is the inverse of what they're advocating. They're saying "Don't second-guess what you were born for, just go for it. With all your might. So what if you lost at Miss Macross, or what if your family's against it? If you want to sing, sing. Go grab success with both hands and don't let go."
I'm not arguing against that, but does the characters have to go out of their way and outright say it? I don't think they do. Their actions speaks louder than their words and the way Alto is fixated on how it may be his 'destiny' just sounds like it's setting himself for some sort of downfall as far as his 'destiny' of fighting a war is concerned. Again, I just think it's like they just jinxed themselves a bit by getting so open about the whole destiny thing. Also, if he is so darn fixated on not being the 'princess' and all, how about cutting his uber-girly hair? I think he does hold onto the past in ways that hasn't been fully explored yet. And the OP seems to hint that he has done the whole Kabuki princess thing before and it may just as well be in his blood as much as he believes flying is.

[QUOTE=Swampstorm;1619443]Well, I'm with you on this one. Character development comes from exploring a character's weaknesses, not their strengths. While we've seen flashes of vulnerability from Sheryl, her real development as a character can only come when she's at her weakest. Right now the focus is on exploring Ranka's insecurities; there will be plenty of time for Sheryl to get some focus once Ranka starts cashing in a few successes. Just be patient.

I would think Ranka would start getting really popular once people realizes it's her voice that is doing the actual saving of Frontier and not anyone else's. I really wouldn't mind a more open contest between Ranka and Sheryl because like you said, the characters weaknesses can make things just that much more interesting. As of now, it's like Ranka and Sheryl are still arm's length away from eachother. I suppose Sheryl transfering to Miboshi Academy is the obvious way for them to interact with one another.