View Single Post
Old 2004-11-18, 10:59   Link #76
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmac
"If a particle of anti-matter collided with a particle of matter to start the big bang, where did the two particles come from?"
There are many theories pretaining to the big bang and none of the credible ones I know of involve two particles colliding as its source.

The thing you're glossing over is that as "free thinkers" we're free to question, doubt and support the theories we deem credible, reasonable or absurd. The multitude of theories and the gaps between them just go to show the extent to which "free thinkers" ponder these problems. We, those of us that claim to be "free thinkers," must find justifications that require more than a simple three word phrases along the lines of "because he's God" or "we'll never know." These would never be excepted as credible answers by any inquiring mind as they aren't really answers, they're just avoiding the answer and the possibility that such things may actually exist beyond the existance of a God.

By fairplay and turn-about, I must now ask: "How did God create the universe?"

[Note] I'm not sure if you mean "free thinker" as aethist, but I assume you meant it as 'those that choose to question their own beliefs.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky
Anyway, I wonder where you get your impressions of church from, this all sounds like you read to many books about medieval times... at least where I live, churches (both catholic and protestants) are very liberal.
I have nothing against the Church, I've been to some really good ones (not only architectually, but very open minded too ). However, for religion taken to the extreme, word for word - the bible is the absolute truth, having a rather vocal zealot aunt won't help your impression of it. >.>

[On Topic]

Personally, I'm getting rather disgusted by the modern celebration of holidays. They have largely turned into nothing more than over commercialized excuses to buy stuff at absurd prices. No one ever recognizes the origin of halloween, Christmas has become a holiday where people can briefly acknowledge those less fortunate for a day or two then forget about them for another year. On top of that, still Christmas, many stores start their seasonal marketing for the holiday in August with an ad company that almost blatantly reads "They won't love you if you don't get them the really expensive gift" which degenerates further the closer to the holiday you get.

St. Patricks Day... now nothing more than an excuse to get wasted on green novelty beer. Valentines day is now a holiday where instead of feasting in honor of Valentine or spending time with one's significant other, one must prove their love by buying exhorbrantly overpriced chocolate, flowers and/or jewelery then going to an expensive restaurant. Easter... I'd be curious to know the common conception of Easter switched from the rebirth of Chirst to the worship of overpriced chocolate rabbit droppings.

And while it's not a religious holiday, even things like Rememberance day are becoming commercialized. I wonder how long it'll be until we worship Hallmark, Walmart or Sears as our hollidays...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote