View Single Post
Old 2007-02-10, 00:33   Link #2024
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

That's the neatest classification of Midchilda/Belka magic differences I've seen. I've always thought of the two like that, just never that eloquently XD

So:

-Midchilda > uses magic as primary means of attack, thus the emphasis on ranged and buster spells. Any melee combat would need spells to be effective.
-Belkan > uses magic to enhance physical combat ability; magic secondary in dealing damage at melee combat.

And it also explains the Cartridge system; since unlike Mid mages with their long range attacks that gives them time to charge the spell, in a melee combat situation the Belkan cartridge system gives you the quick boost of energy needed to cast powerful spells WHILE you exchange blows with the enemy, dispensing of the need to waste precious seconds in charging spells.

Btw, Nanoha and Fate also created "ground" to stand on whenever they fought, (or at least, in charging their weapons) long before A's, so it's not exactly a hallmark of the Belka magic system.

A thought on Fate though: despite being a Midchildan mage, Bardiche is actually more of an Armed Device, even before being upgraded, since it's initial form is a... bardiche, and armed devices are typically designed as weapons first, magic second. Of course, Bardiche would still be labelled as an intelligent device because for serious melee encounters, Fate has to rely on Scythe/Haken form, which forms a blade of magical energy, and being magical instead of being physical in nature labels Bardiche as an ID.

Another thought: Tiana's Cross Mirage is said to use the cartridge system. Being the only really firearm-like weapon in Nanoha, do you think Tiana uses the cartridges in very much like a conventional firearm would, i.e. shooting off one shot per cartridge?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.