View Single Post
Old 2012-09-06, 21:58   Link #97
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
that's true but he isn't the same type of genius as the others. kakashi included since kakashi can hold his own and learn new techniques fast and regularly. shikamaru is almost useless in a 1 on 1 fight. he needs to rely on the strength of others in order for his mental genius to flourish. he is a genius no doubt, but he's not a physical/ability genius like the other genius ninja are.

i dont think shikamaru really got by with zero ambition. he would have died on several accounts if not for being saved when he exhausted his mind and single advanced technique. i also dont think mental genius is as direct a correlation to learning abilities as you say. shikamaru's intelligence doesnt gaurantee that he could have beaten kakashi and itachi in rank. as a tactician and advisor, sure, but not as a ninja.

shikamaru is a mental genius, but arguably not a genius ninja. he's basically a one trick pony. no other geniuses we've discussed are nearly that limited in performance.
Shikamaru is a genius ninja by whatever criteria Kishimoto uses. I am not saying I even agree with it, but it is the creator's call.

To quote Kishimomto
Quote:
Masashi Kishimoto has noted that he likes Shikamaru due to his easygoing nature despite being a genius, and contrasted him against another genius Sasuke Uchiha's abrasive personality.
So Kishi considers him a genius and whatever than entails in this manga. Perhaps because he also hit the genetic lottery with that brain. Having an over 200 IQ should be rarer than an EMS.

There is no mental genius vs. physical genius. Nor does a genius mean having to be great at everything. Otherwise characters like Sasuke and Neji would clearly fail in that regard. Shikamaru is a genius whose talent is his intelligence and leadership skills. These talents are so extraordinary that they allow him to compete with and defeat characters that are perhaps more physically gifted than him. And he were useless in a one-on-one fight like you said, he would have died when he faced Kin ages ago. Shikamaru is the classic slacker character who only fulfills his potential in times of need. As opposed to ambitious characters who get the most out of their talent. But he is a genius all the same. One held in check by his own lack of ambition.

Last edited by Ulquiorra; 2012-09-06 at 22:12.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote