View Single Post
Old 2009-01-17, 08:13   Link #81
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I think of it that way. We have grown so used to physical display of affection in western romance shows, or the ever out-of-place passionate kiss in a genre (action, horror) not meant for that, that we take the PDA in a romance anime for granted.

So when the director decided to go for another take, not show any PDA, people cringe. I don't know about KyoAni, perhaps the director is not confident enough in his own ability, perhaps he think that doing it would turn Clannad into a George Lucas Love Story (you all watched the Anakin trilogy, you know what I mean).

But the result is here. The audience is polarized, one side welcome it or accept it, the other (very vocal thanks to a minority) flail and call it an outrage. So what's left? We have to trust it on the animators to execute it in the body language of the characters, their glances, etc... We also have to count on the voice actors to convey the right tone for the emotion, to remind us that they are the couple.