Thread: Higurashi Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-12, 00:36   Link #2201
magnum12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Second law is flat out broken.
It includes things from:
- No villains using a curse to kill in a locked room.
to
- No detectives using a crystal ball to see who did the crime.

Solving the crime because the character remembers from a previous life is right out.

Rule 4 is focused on "Keep things within the realm of the possible." To be able to use device, poison, or disease, such a thing should be real-world possible. (I'd consider _The Caves of Steel_ to be compliant here; while technology in the book was far ahead contemporary times, everything relevant was described in-story.)

Rule 8: As far as the disappearance of Rika & Satoko in Watanagashi-hen goes, I disagree. The results of Rena's investigations aren't disclosed until she gives her solution with the explanation. Even the flier mentioning the soy sauce (which Keiichi could have seen on his own) isn't mentioned until her solution.

Also, I view "clue" as much stronger than "foreshadowing". In Higurashi, I remember a lot of parts where a reader could say "Explanation B is also possible", but I don't remember much that could be shown "Explanation B is possible, and explanation A is wrong."
Point conceeded on Knox's 2nd. Completely utterly forgot about the
Spoiler for general spoilers:

In terms of real world possible, based on my field of study (microbiology), I can argue that that solution is most definately within the realm of real world possible. Based on the commonalities, I think I have a pretty solid idea as to
Spoiler for spoilers for the 8th novel:

Just found the manga. Don't know if I'm allowed to post the link though. The investigation starts on page 13 of chapter 9. Seems to show the soy sauce bottle to be empty and the cooker is off with a panel specifically dedicated to each. There also seems to be an object the size of a large piece of paper next to the cooker on the right side. Could this be the note? On page 14, Rena inspects the contents of the cooker noticing a bunch of cube like objects inside and checks the refridgerator, noticing the same cubes wrapped in plastic wrap (apparently tofu) with an expression that seems to indicate that she thinks something's wrong. I think it is at this point that where a "predatory trap" theory can be established, even if the clues require some knowledge of cooking (which I admittedly didn't have until Rena's explaination) to fully notice.

In chapter 10, page 29, Rena has what appears to be a large piece of paper in her hands, indicative that she found something important. Since the contents of the note weren't shown, I concede on the paper, but it seems everything else regarding the dinner were presented to the reader in the manga incarnation. Enough at least for a "Rika and Satako were lured to their deaths by a predatory trap" hypothesis. That combined with the "psycho rant" and Ooishi's comments about the whereabouts of certain individuals are enough clues for the reader to figure out the identity of the culprit. Of course, my argument is completely moot in the visual novel.

Last edited by magnum12; 2013-06-12 at 01:23.
magnum12 is offline   Reply With Quote