Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-03, 07:18   Link #31
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
But even if you don't close the apps, eventually Windows will start replacing suspended apps in memory if more memory is needed.
The problem is with very resource intensive apps.

If it's your TweetDeck, rss reader or messaging system that works fine; the program can crash nothing is lost. But if say it's an important application that can easily eat your entire RAM (say photoshop, or just about anything that works with large documents/projects and has a "save" button) what happens when it goes into suspended state on close? Say (for the sake of example) I have a very large painting opened in photoshop, then I close photoshop (not the document) and then I open something that's not necessarily intensive, but like every other greedy program tries to monopolize RAM so it can boast how fast it is. Then what happens to my unsaved painting that's in suspended state? Does it pop photoshop up? Does it KILL photoshop? Does it try to tell photoshop to close and blocks since photoshop asks for save? Does it do the stupidest option which is to copy photoshop from memory to disk? Sounds like unless you're someone who just uses only the most basic of apps this change can only be bad for you. And even for the average joe, you have to wonder what happens when you say write a document and close the program thinking your done then close your computer.

And speaking of sending programs to the background, aside from the obvious option of programs already supporting this on their own (when they feel it's appropriate), you can just use TrayIt to make it so anything can be send to the background (in the case of TrayIt: shift+minimize).