Thread: Crunchyroll Giant Killing (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2010-04-07, 07:32   Link #19
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Argh, the one anime I was most looking for this season, and I was left disappointed. I can (grudgingly) understand the bad character design and animation due to budget constraints, (I'm biased, but I really prefer this show to get more budget than Hakuoki) but I can't understand why they'd want to cut the prologue. Maybe they do it this way to fit it under 24 minutes, but I still think that if properly animated, they can fit in the whole prologue for one episode and IMO it will serve as a nice introduction to the series. This way, it will make non-soccer fan or those who haven't read the manga to think of Tatsumi as nothing more than an irresponsible cocky jerk who betrayed the team, as they really glossed over his accomplishment.

For example, when Goto said "I pleaded for him to come back" that's a major understatement, as it's really hard to get Tatsumi back and it shows just how much his previous team and the town values him. Also, just a passing mention by Yuri in how they got back from 0-2 to leading back 3-2 failed to portray how epic it really is - sure, Portsmouth may not be that good (especially now) in the Premier League, but it's still way stronger than the 3rd division non-professional team, and the match really shows how awesome Tatsumi's tactical prowess really is.

Perhaps they did this to make the audience shares the opinion of the ETU fans in not knowing what's seems so special about Takumi? If so, that is...pretty dumb, as unlike the ETU fans who have to accept Takumi whether they like it or not, viewers can just choose NOT to watch this anymore.

Tl;dr: for those of you disappointed by Tatsumi's character, I greatly recommends you to read the first prologue chapter of the manga, it shows him in a much better light.

Well, if there's a good thing about the adaptation, I think Tomokazu Seki voiced Tatsumi quite well, and the English pronunciation by the old man is surprisingly good (don't know if the accent fits though). Also, it will encourage more scanlation of the manga, which is amazing. Despite how much I feel the adaptation should have been much better, I'm still going to follow this show, being too much of a fan of the original manga and soccer in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

By the way, what other football mangas are there? I haven't seen one, but I don't look for them, either.
Aside from Whistle and Area no Kishi already mentioned, there's another soccer anime that's pretty good called Hungry Heart - Wild Striker. It's made by the same guy who did Captain Tsubasa, yet watching the anime I can't believe that it's really made by the same guy as it's really different (and IMO much better) than Captain Tsubasa. Also, most of this are not fully scanlated, but other soccer manga I greatly enjoyed (it's fully translated in my home country) are Fantasista, Shoot! (and its prequel Shoot! In Memory and its sequels Shoot! Hot Challenge and Shoot! Legend of a New Age), and also Our Field of Dreams.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote