View Single Post
Old 2010-09-18, 12:36   Link #2802
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Man, I used to be able to follow and even set the pace of this thread. Nowadays the discussion in here keeps running away from me; people keep posting replies before I even set finger to keyboard these days. I hypothesize that the act of getting a girlfriend is the best evidence of the existence of metaphysics; from my observations, such an event seems to directly lead to a significant fast-forward effect in the perception of time. I'm sure this hypothesis can be scientifically tested; anyone wants to try it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't understand. Are you saying that you choose not to believe that the diety is omnipotent, infallable, omniscient ect? If you don't believe that then what you believe of the diety and what the supposed 'infantile' person believes are two different things. Calling the person infantile for believing in something he doesn't even believe in seems a little off to me.
Erm lolwut.

I never said I chose to believe that the "deity" has any of these ascribed characteristics. What I was getting at, is that just because someone believes in such a deity with these characteristics, doesn't mean I have to respect that idea any more than I would respect any other unproven concept.

Additionally, you're trying to lure me away from my point with a red herring; notwithstanding whatever characteristics one may wish to ascribe to the concept of the deity in question, Dawkins was making the point that it is "infantile" for a person to assume that somebody else (omnipotent deity or otherwise) to take responsibility for giving meaning to his/her life, instead of taking responsibility for him/herself.

In short, your argument has been one big ignoratio elenchi. Therefore, we need not pursue this line of discussion any further.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote