View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 10:58   Link #56
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Pretend the Queerats are humans without Cantus.

Look I get that people are disturbed by this dystopian future, but hey, just look in the mirror. Humanity as it exists is horrible, with or without psychic powers. The mark of good science fiction is to be able to be a mirror of the human condition. SSY does this pretty well.

There's a reason humans are at the top of the food chain. We are monsters.
I think the social dynamic of the humans and queerats runs parallel in some ways to most slave classes in human history (despite the fantastical and bizarre circumstances of the world they live in). While the clash between two slave groups is a novelty as far as I know, in other ways it's really not all that unfamiliar of a story. This Japan is something like colonial Haiti, as an example, the ruling class are better armed, but clearly outnumbered and capable of being defeated tactically as well. For this reason, I too have been throwing in my lot with the queerats, simply because I sympathize with their position.

Not to say an outright massacre of Saki's society is an honorable goal, but from the queerats' perspective, I'm not sure what other option they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Sure. But it's another evidence against the "self-defense" excuse...
If you were in a lower class and you had a capable, cunning leader, who obviously was a shady guy, but had the ambition to free you from being an outright, by birth, slave... wouldn't you follow him? And do they really need to have self-defense as an excuse under these circumstances?