Thread: Nintendo Wii U
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-22, 21:18   Link #71
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Now we have another question. Will dev bother to port wii 2 game on ps4/720. If the differece is huge. They dont even bother. Which we going back to original question
Re-read my post about diminishing returns. A lot of people discussing the N6 on the net have brought up the PS4 and XBox 720 and many of those people have acknowledged this matter of diminishing returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
People talking about the next Playstation and Next XBox looking "significantly better" than the N6 should consider the idea of diminishing returns and how it applies to consoles.

The jist of that concept is that with each new console generation, the gap in the graphical differences is less and less. So, the gap between the 16 bit gen and the 32 bit gen is bigger than the gap between the 32 bit gen and the gen with PS2, GCN, and XBox. That gen had a bigger graphical gap between it and the current gen than the current gen will have with the next gen.

As I saw someone put it, games nowadays are objectively good looking. So, if the N6 can run good looking games better than the average XBox 360 game (at 60 FPS and in 1080p), just how much better looking can the next Playstation and XBox systems look? They will be more powerful, but the graphical leap won't be that big, and 1080p will be the HD standard for years to come. If N6 games, PS 4 games, and XBox 720 games all look comparable and all can run at 60 FPS and at 1080p, most consumers aren't going to really care about the differences in the graphics which shouldn't really be all that much, if not rather small compared to previous graphical leaps of past gens.

The difference between N6 and PS4 and XBox 720 might be like the difference between PS2 and XBox; not big enough to be a show stopper, as compared to, let's say, the difference between the original Playstation and the Sega Dreamcast. These are just guesses on my part, but you get the point.