View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 21:05   Link #283
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Hmmm... absolutely none of them? Didn't you read the bits of my post you linked? I mentioned it in that very paragraph. He didn't enjoy what he saw of the connections... why should I defend the connections when I can defend the rest of the episode? I'm not going to tell him he's wrong for not enjoying something I enjoyed... that'd be dumb of me.

I'm just going to point out that a lot of other 'world-building' things happened, so it's not the end of the world if you don't enjoy the 'character-building' things that did happen.
Exactly right, none. You can defend the rest of the episode, ie. world development, but no one attacked it, hence the straw man.

I will provide the entire paragraph that you selectively quoted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
I never said her development was wasted-- it was more of that it totally wasn't enough for them to pull something like this. Yui getting resurrected or not later on is completely beside the point. My complaint on this episode was not just that Yui died; I'm complaining that an episode like this needs way more buildup for it to work.
It didn't matter whether world building was equally important or not, the context was Yui's development.
Why you took needs way more buildup to imply a lack of world building, I don't know.
Until someone attacks the world building aspect, your whole "show, don't tell" argument falls flat on its face because you cannot apply it to the context of said argument.

You can make an argument about the balance (or imbalance) between character development and world building, but again, the "show, don't tell" works against you if you believe the character development is lacking (ie. a lack of "show, don't tell" in the character development aspect).
Again, you shouldn't use the "show, don't tell" argument if you don't know how to use it.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote