View Single Post
Old 2004-04-19, 01:08   Link #64
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubb
Kujoe, girls that go to another world anime will always have the main female cast as a meek person. Even Yoko in junni kokki was a weak person at first. Animes with strong female lead doesn't occur that often nowadays(or maybe I'm just not watching the right shows).
Yes, that's true. It's just that I feel that others have done it better, and have supported their characters with objective correlatives that make more sense. Best examples are Juuni Kokki and Escaflowne. The latter has an element of romance too--love triangles even--but unlike Miaka, you could really feel Hitomi's sense of defamiliarization, fear and awe amidst the alien world she ends up in. As for Juuni Kokki--it's also true that Youko is somewhat a "weak" character, but the fact is, she changes. It's quite normal for her to be weak and all in the beginning, but this is interestingly juxtaposed with her wanting to be good in the eyes of others. There's an interesting symmetry that I think is there. Moreover the settings of both are not merely reduced to a backdrop for something else. They're holistically part of the overall story, whereas the focus on the setting of Fushigi Yuugi has gaps here and there.

I don't want to start an argument or anything, it's just a matter of preference and personal opinion. And as for anime that has strong female leads--there are some out there that I think are "strong" in their own way. I guess the description, "strong" is quite ambiguous whether male or female, such that it has to be qualified and justified within the story. The "strongest" female character so far for me would have to be Haruka from Rahxephon. She may have displayed moments of despair and weakness at some points--by keeping her deep feelings to herself, by crying out for the man she loves, etc.--but she has also refused to simply accept the way things are in the present--an enduring personality at the very least. All in all, she's in equal footing with the main hero of the show. Tsukihime also comes to mind as being another anime that has a "strong" female cast.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by kujoe; 2004-04-19 at 01:19.