Thread: Licensed K-On! Manga discussion
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 21:17   Link #2111
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I don't really get those vibes from the final chapters of the manga myself. I do have some speculation as to why such elements were observed, though, so bear with me while I gather my thoughts and explain what might be an alternative account for some of the things we see.

Things change considerably at the post-secondary level: I considered engineering in high school but my path has since diverged. The same likely holds true for the band and can be seen as a minor allusion to reality: that making a band successful is an endeavour that is out of scope of HTT despite their high school aspirations and have since become more realistic about what they wish to do in the world.

The introduction of Akira (who is my least favourite character in the series) is harder to explain, but I think it has to do with the new cast introduced in university. Depicting a larger number of characters simply means that Mio et al. make fewer appearances. With this in mind, the manga depicted most of the characters evenly for the most part. Kakifly himself stated that Mio was a favourite on the virtue of being left-handed.

Calling back to the idea of changing character maturity, perhaps both Yui and Ui have matured slightly in the year that elapsed since Yui went to University. It is possible to maintain a close, cordial relationship without the degree of intimateness (read "lots of hugs") that was depicted in the TV series.

All in all, I cannot definitively say whether or not Kakifly is giving the fanbase a take-that. Granted, some of the things the fanbase does can be seen as excessive and even somewhat offensive, but I don't believe Kakifly intentionally hates the fanbase. Perhaps, he merely wishes to reinforce his original intent and ideas for the manga over the decidedly more-well known TV series.