View Single Post
Old 2009-09-10, 14:55   Link #124
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
But the physical continuity exists. Even if it is separated by great amount of time. If there was none you simply would not be here as you (and I) would not exist.
It's not a matter of time or of causality, but of identity. My parents and I are separate entities. My baby self and I aren't - we're one entity at different points in time.

Quote:
Yes, but you cannot change your form since physical none of an bodies can.
Oh, I can change all right. It's called "aging".

Quote:
So according to you normal wolves are six-feet tall and can change their form to humans? Great riddance, but I think many would disagree with that.
I meant there could be some intermediate stage between normal wolf and giant wolf who can carry several people or swallow them whole. It doesn't have to be all one or the other.

Quote:
To other wolves. There can be tall and high humans but no-one of them can change their shape and body mass at their will in an instant.

Many people can learn that in natural process of learning or growing up. But none can do something that human body is not capable off - like living without oxygen

Your body is the same. It just experienced natural changes that all humans do experience (less some interruptions happen). You keep the continuity.

Thats what I am telling you. She has to be wolf-god from the beginning if she gained those abilities through growing up (because normal wolves do not posses those abilities). Then the continuity would exist, yet if a normal wolf is changed the whole mind and body structure is changed radically thus the being that came into be is not the wolf that was before. The being is so radically different that it has no continuity at all. Thats where the problem lies.

You can say but Australopithecus could do some things that I cannot, and I can do something that Australopithecus could not. But those things either can be taught and learned or comes in a natural way of evolution (like physical changes), which do not radically destroy the chain of continuity.

The change that wolf-god experiences is too radical in both mind and body that wolf cannot learn through normal way of evolution or learning.

It is not like a stone statue made from stone. If it was you could say the form changed but the material (stone) remains and posses the same qualities still (thus sucesion remains).

Here you can only talk about a stone statue made from wax. And it makes no sense because wax do not posses the qualities of stone thus you cannot make from it a STONE statue.
"Wolves don't have magical abilities like Horo's, and can't acquire them". That's your argument, basically. And it's true - IRL. Well, IRL, wolf gods don't exist at all. The world of Spice and Wolf, OTOH, isn't Real Life. It's a world where deities and magic exist. In such a world, it's possible that those deities come from normal animals. And there's no reason that change couldn't be gradual. Sure, the end result is very different from what you started with. But have you ever seen a human embryo? In comparison to what could come out of that, going from dog-sized wolf to talking house-sized wolf seems fairly trivial.