View Single Post
Old 2011-06-09, 23:19   Link #9924
Boinciel
Mii~

Oil is really, really nice to work with. It takes about five days to dry completely, which means I could mix paints and touch up a section a while after I'd moved on from it. This is my first time working with oil; I'd used acrylic paints a couple of years back but they always dried way too fast for me to do anything nice with them. If you feel up to painting another, I'd recommend giving oil a go.

With these oil paints, I burned through two palettes (one got too clogged with paint to be serviceable anymore, I opted to move onto a second instead of wasting half an hour cleaning all the paint out). However, I realized that the picture that I was using as a reference was a little washed out soon after I'd finished the face. I didn't want to go back and redo all of that, so the hair, lips, and skin remain fairer than they should be. I went back and redid the eyes, though; with the addition of the background, they needed to be quite a bit darker. I also couldn't get the expression quite right, she appears to have a more distant sort of beauty compared to the original. The lips don't quite form a smirk.

Also, the guy who wanted to buy it had absolutely no clue where it was from. It would have been a complete and utter tragedy for it to have ended up in the hands of that kind of man.

Last edited by Boinciel; 2011-06-09 at 23:28. Reason: Unclosed parenthesis leaves me hanging all day.