View Single Post
Old 2009-10-10, 12:11   Link #2095
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
... Strange. Teana's ability to cast illusions of herself strikes me as an ideal ability for a dodger.

Subaru is a tank, though, so I can see Nanoha's point there.
Basically, Nanoha was trying to turn her into a combination AWACS-CIWS; Teana would manage the battlespace and coordinate the Forwards while shooting down everything that was flying away at them - she wasn't supposed to dodge enemy fire, she was supposed to shoot it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
When Nanoha went "no, no dodging" to Teana, she mainly went that "When in a group, your job as the middle support is to call shots, shoot enemies, warn allies, you can't do that if you're rolling on the ground like that."
Which was really terrible advice, frankly - she was wanting Teana to be a stationary target, shooting down everything. The problem with being a human point defense is that it's only a matter of time before you're overwhelmed - and when you're concentrating on intercepting enemy fire, you can't exactly spare much thought for coordinating your team.

Note that when Tea moved away from what Nanoha was teaching she started getting more success. And don't forget the Hotel Augusta incident, where she was pretty much shooting everything that moved on on full auto, thanks to Nanoha's training.

Quote:
Most of the mages in Nanoha don't dodge very much. *Points to Signum just standing there and armor tanking Fate's attacks in Nanoha As.* Seriously, that was just to show off.

Though Fate was teaching Erio and Caro that since they aren't nearly as tough as Subaru or Teana that they need to learn how to dodge.

Edit: To be fair to Nanoha's criticizing of Teana's rolling is actually something that Armed Forces in the US (Green Berets for example) frown upon as well. You're wasting time rolling around when you could just easily be shooting your enemy.

Though Teana's rolling is a nod to some other Armed Forces in the world (Soviet Speznek for example) that train their units to be rolling and shooting.
Evasive action isn't something that's used alot in the Nanoverse, although that might be because of the fact that evasive action is mitigated by homing rounds, requiring people to learn how to tank.

Also, rolling is not quite frowned upon - it's the purpose of the rolling. Throwing yourself on the ground lets you evade the first shot, but it takes you longer to get back up and reorient compared to rolling. And then, if you've just been shot in the legs, at least if you turn your fall into a roll you can come up fighting, like what happened to LTC Erik Kurilla in Iraq; chasing an insurgent, Kurilla was shot in the legs and went down, and turned his fall into a roll so that he came up with his M4 up and ready.

Referring to this link, point 9: Roll instead of crawling, because rolling is faster. (Note that the author is a retired Marine NCO.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
I agree with the dodging. I think she'd be better off ducking for cover rather than rolling though, and I think that's what Nanoha was also trying to cover.

Plus, if you're too busy dodging, you're too busy to give cover fire, and that's no good.
No, Nanoha was saying that she shouldn't dodge, she needed to shoot down every single thing heading her way and her teammates' way.

Also, remember that it was an open patch of grass ringed by trees. Not much cover, so she ducked and rolled away from a shot she couldn't intercept.

As for the too busy dodging to give cover fire... that's the whole point of suppression fire, which is to keep the enemy from poking their heads up and shooting at you. In this case Tea was beginning to be suppressed and attempted to dodge a shot she couldn't intercept and move to a different position to give herself a breather and reorient.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2009-10-10 at 12:31.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote