View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 18:46   Link #204
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Can I have a more detailed example? I mean, I know that because of the "10 different users" limit, you can't just circlejerk with 2 people easily. How do people get around this? If they create a new account, then they have 0 rep power.
If not detected, people can build a bit of reputation with several accounts, and then simply start a circle when they give rep to themselves using all the dummy accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I still don't see why "gaming positive rep" was a problem, particularly since "gaming" the system didn't influence other forum users' usage of the forum.
Because it is not an isolated activity as many seem to believe, and it's certainly not a "just for fun" activity in the eyes of some. As I mentioned previously, people farm rep to use it and in many cases, they farm it to abuse it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Most suggestions are shot down, and forum changes are often made with no concern for user input. That's not inherently good or bad, but from the user standpoint it doesn't
But some suggestions are considered and often incorporated later on. To name a few from the top of my head:

Custom user titles, the increase in signatures and profile albums, the new options for social groups, these were all changes made on user feedback.

Heck, when I was still a member, I suggested to unlock the [Quote] feature on profiles and "Shocker" my request was accepted and the quote and several other tags were implemented on profiles. The suggestion to implement more custom avatars was also accepted back in the day, and even now, many people still use said avatars.