View Single Post
Old 2011-03-03, 16:51   Link #1021
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
Still, it makes little difference, as Alto and Sheryl clearly had enough time to become comfortable with each other. Just not long enough for Alto convince Sheryl that he isn't doing it out of pity. And Sheryl is stubborn when she's made up her mind, so he has his work cut out for him.
I don't think Sheryl's issues are just that. I think she knew they had no future together because she was going to die in the battle or as soon after it. She was aware of that. She was sparing Alto's feelings, IMO, trying to push him away to clear her mind and his. Alto was the one who wanted to see her and explained to her (his feelings for her, according to the scriptwriter). Who sought her out before battle to the point, she was the one to put an end of it for his sake (and Ranka's). There's absolutely no insecurity, no nothing after the crisis is averted to show that was her disease (and not Alto's feelings for Ranka) what troubled her.

As contrast with this movie scene
Spoiler for movie spoilers:

Quote:
One theory held forward by AruRan shippers is that starry-eyed Alto (Pfft! Even Sheryl realised that he treated her like anyone else) only put up with Sheryl because she's famous/rich/pretty, but if that was the case, wouldn't there have been a little bragging (remember, Alto is a bit sensitive about being seen as a man at this point in the series), especially since Michael tries to encourage it? All Alto had to do is to snap back a comment about at least he doesn't have to fail getting dates with a hundred women before getting one, without even implicating Sheryl.
Yeah. That makes no sense, considering Ranka's the next new sensation while Sheryl's popularity wanes a lot by the time they connect later. He actually respects her as a professional, not quite because she's a star. They share this professional connection, even from different worlds.

Quote:
Considering how he acted afterwards with the earring (he was on duty, and shouldn't have left Quarter [which is why Michael and Ozma are cross with him before sortie], yet he did, which is why I think Sheryl ranks higher than his duty and Frontier, because he repeatedly breaks both promises and duties if it's for Sheryl, even this early in the series),
Good catch!

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"