Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-04, 19:45   Link #1243
zRichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This is a world where demons and humans are at war, but our demon queen looks exactly like a human. The relationship between the hero and the demon queen is exactly like a relationship between humans. For me this raises the question of why even introduce “demons” as a part of this world. The story could have done just fine with a war between two warring nations. The way it is setup now feels pointless.

Another issue here is the depth of knowledge the Demon Queen apparently possesses. The explanation for the war never really ending at the beginning was because either side would collapse economically after the war and it was more profitable to keep it going. Well if the Demon Queen really had such great knowledge, wouldn’t this problem for the demons not exist? Furthermore, they would possess superior economic capabilities and the war shouldn’t even be this close. This breaks my suspension of belief.

If this show simply wanted to show off some the basic economic advances of past centuries, the integration of such concepts could be more gracefully done than what we are seeing here so far. Right now the Demon Queen is basically moving the plot forward by introducing new socio-economic ideas, one after the other without establishing how she came to those ideas at all. So far I see no reason for the main character’s presence in this story since the Demon Queen seems to have all the answers.

Not to mention that the severe pacing issues make it difficult to invest in this since too much happens too fast without anytime to feel out the setting, plot, or characters. I really would love to like this show, but I can't see it as anything more than just an altogether terrible production.

Most of your complaints on the scenario fall moot because either

1) It's already been addressed in the show and you either missed or ignored the exposition (Why winning the war would be very bad for both sides).
2) It's a plot point (Why so much knowledge. With such a Mary Sue, there's no need for Hero).
3) Not true (No character development. Too much of fanservice)

Still, it's understandable that you got here thinking like this. It was wrong to hype this show as S&W3.