View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 09:23   Link #19
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Heh, even Tatsuya got a couple of votes, not bad for a character with two minutes of screen time.
After resisting the temptation to tick all the boxes, I decided to pick out three:
- Sayaka, our adorable, naive and idealistic knight whom cruel fate (and a certain writer) made the showcase for the system's grim exposition.
- Kyouko, the poster child for "jerkass with a heart of gold", a broken hero who had her ideals crushed and buried the remains under an egoistic facade, only to revert to old ways for someone she first tried to kill then ended up caring deeply for.
- Madoka, often accused of being wimpy, but choosing to cry her grief out honestly instead of letting it cloud and ruin her mind; a girl managed to take all the fate had thrown at her and weave it into a wise choice - earning the right to be the TITULAR Puella Magi and probabl one of the most prominent magical girls in context that the genre has ever known.

Despite limiting myself to three votes, I also bow to Homura's determination and heartwarming dedication, to Mami's kind heart and big-sister type attitude, and I can't dismiss Kyuubey no matter how much he annoyed me - this annoyance stemmed not from the quality of his character, but from the feelings this character's deeds evoked in me - meaning the script fulfilled its purpose here. Kyuubey, you lucky twerp, you'll be remembered for a LONG time - maybe not thanks to you, but thanks to Gen Urobuchi, Aoki Ume, Emiri Katou and other people who did their job so well.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote