View Single Post
Old 2011-06-15, 10:18   Link #50
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Very true. These days, playing a game (or watching a movie, or going through several anime/tv show episodes) means dropping several hours at a time into something with no long-term benefit. I don't have several hours to spare anymore. There are friends that need attention (something that wasn't an issue when I went to school with them), exercise that needs to be done (working in front of a computer for 8 hours a day is a sure way to get fat), and personal projects that need work (writing, programming, practicing piano, etc.)

People characterize gamers and anime fans have people with no life, but on some level, it's true: it really is impossible to be well-rounded in your interests if you're really serious about either.
The way you characterize gaming and anime fans makes it seem like they need to be dedicated for some reason. By definition both mediums are created to be hobbies or pass times, completely different to responsibilities which you need to be serious about to get by (work, acadamia). They're there to be enjoyed. A waste of time sure, in a sense, but like Vexx said play is important. Here's a defenition I came across a while ago and think is good here (w/ link):

Play is an activity that:

•is voluntary
•has no obvious survival value or is apparently purposeless
•is pleasurable or fun
•creates a diminished sense of time and self consciousness
•is improvisational

I think what Ledgem is trying to figure out is if anime (and gaming since he mentioned it) is even enjoyable for him anymore. His old hobbies aren't as pleasurable as they used to be, so they're becoming ways to pass time. Which at a certain stage of one's life will quickly starts to feel like a waste of time. Why is this happening? Maybe he really is a competitive workaholic, or maybe it's not intellectually satisfying anymore and he needs to find a new way to 'play'.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote