Thread: Licensed Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-03, 23:57   Link #570
Midonin
Last Engage

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Final - Midonin Learns Trivia Several Years Too Late

I know I heard the name "Kagutsuchi" before, but I associate it with spinning rings and a death game. Mai-HiME drew on a lot of mythology, sure, but I wasn't fully aware of the context until now. For some reason. From the comments, I was expecting the finale to be a lot less action packed than it was, but it was a fitting and enjoyable end to an enjoyable series. With a pedigree in nearly everything (voice actresses, animation studio, novel author) I was looking forward to this, and while it wasn't as zany as Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, it was a very nice mix of comedy, otaku culture and mythology (and some yuri. I don't even need my goggles here.) Plus, it features a sympathetic and prominent futanari character. (The reason for why she has it revealed here.) That's a rare sight.

Sasami's plan of hiding not just her soul, but her entire house in Tama's body... I didn't see that one coming. But she has god-level power, so it's acceptable. That scene of Jou and Sasami lying on the beach was really sweet. She has a lot of impact for someone who was only around in three or four episodes. I know Shaft has their Madokas and their Monogatarises (and their Hidamaris), but I'm all for them doing a series like this, too.

The variable ED thing was also fun - hearing a clean version for the finale, it's a sweet little song. Looking forward to the full release whenever. Final verdict? I enjoyed it. A bit of an under the radar series, but under the radar is a good place to be, sometimes.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote