View Single Post
Old 2008-07-10, 15:47   Link #29
Undertaker

My guess is because Paris was the setting of one of the book, and through out the whole series it was allude that Ryoko's presence and looks gives her a very French-feel [when she's not talking and bulling others, of course.] not to mention both of her personal maids are French.

Anyway, I was planning on some venting here. WHERE THE HELL are the fansubs for this series, I don't have access for RAW so I was waiting on the fansub, and I got zip for almost a week. I can't wait anymore so yesterday I went out and find the Chinese fansubs for this series [and downloaded three versions, BTW], which I don't normally do, due to the fact I Chinese fansub usually uses RVMB [Real Player Format] compare to Divx/Xvid/H264 which I loath because of the Real Player and it inability to use other players. All this is making me feels like He's My Master and Ichigo Marshmallow all over again. Both are great cult series that got ignore in U.S. until weeks later poeple find out how enjoyable they are and begins to play catchup game in subbing it. I probably shouldn't blame them like that because it is hard work to sub them, but I just needed to vent a little bit on this, sorry if I offended anyone.

Back to more pleasant topic, I really like the first episode. Its new storyline stand sperated from the novels, although since they are doing it that way, I really wish the series was slotted for 26 episodes instead of 13.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the in-jokes in this episode, from the way Ryoko uses the titles of the novel as her personal case file name to the part with Tanaka are awsome. especially the part with Tanaka, it makes it all that much better if you are his fan as he is a notorious slow writer that tease you with a book here and there on an on-going series (though he is a great writer, one of the very best on Sci-fi/fantasy in East Asia, can't since of anyone else being as popular for as long as he has). I wonder if it's really his voice though.

Ryoko and Yukiko's bickering is also spot on and capture their relationship perfectly. Also the scene where Ryoko is pouting after she found out the note Yukiko left Junichiro is just great.

As someone already pointed out, when I first heard of Ryoko's voice, I also thought she could be a bit more forceful. But as the episode went on, I find the voice is growing on me and fit Ryoko really well.

The series really do seem to be designed for people who are already the fan of the novel or the manga version with the amount of the in-joke and on-going gags and subtle relationships, although it is not too heavy to the point that it is un-watchable for people new to the series like FFVII-Advent Children. I think while newcomers to the series might find it a bit bland because they don't know the history behind it, but if they are intrige and decide to do some catch-up, then watch it again this series could go from a 7/10 to 9/10 in a heartbeat.

One tiny little complain about episode one. After Ryoko judo threw the dumb assistant on the ground and steps on him to get his boss to agree to assist the investigation, I really thought Ryoko-sama would step on the guy again and driving her heels in he back even more before releasing him, but that never happen, so I was a bit disappointed. Compassion just don't set well with Ryoko-sama. But this is just try to pick a bone in egg to an otherwise satisfying episode.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2008-07-10 at 15:59.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote