View Single Post
Old 2011-08-04, 02:13   Link #23575
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
How is acting like a sport, then turning around and being a bitch cunning? That doesn't take cunning, at best, it takes good acting, anyone could do that.(Yeah I just looked up cunning saying this wasn't very smart.)
It takes cunning to deceive someone who is nearly omniscient, I would think. You're misrepresenting what Erika actually did, here.

Quote:
Plus, I haven't played D&D, but I watched Jan's witches&woodlands short(which I was incredibly impressed with), so I don't understand what you're saying too much about the D&D analogy, but that also doesn't sound like a nice way to play, it involves the same level of deceit and trickery that I was talking about.
Yea, it's not a nice way to play, but no one ever said it was. Erika was still dickish, underhanded, nasty, slimy, and shitty, but it was consistent with how she acted so far and it doesn't make her seem like a thug.

A rules lawyer is basically someone who follows the letter of the games' rules instead of the spirit, and effectively looks for loopholes in order to get what they want to the detriment of everyone else's fun. Erika's behavior in Jan-Poo's story is Rules Lawyerism, except it's not-so-shitty because he didn't want to leave Beatrice a legitimate means of weaseling out. The point of both actions, however, was the same: To prove that the Gamemaster was incompetent and no good; if they were as capable as they claimed they should be able to handle Erika's actions in stride, right?

The problem is that the Game being played in Umineko doesn't really have rules of Ryukishi has to sort of wing it and go with whatever is dramatic at the time, which works for the most part since everyone involved is some sort of pansdimensional being but in situations like this it's pretty bullshit. I think the actual core of your complaint is more along the lines of: How the fuck did Erika actually get away with it? Genius Battler explains this nicely.

I don't think this is really anything different from how Erika's ever behaved. How much different is it from basically using magical powers to get her way in EP5 and then RIGGING THE COURTS to get the answer she wants, to the point of getting Red Truths she wanted and for even DENYING A RED TRUTH that hurt her theory?

SHIT, I'd take what she did in EP6 over literally ignoring Natsuhi is pure and faithful as if it was never said.

Quote:
I forgot the technical name of the spell Dlanor used there to reveal any doors, but if Dlanor had used the spell, and Beatrice ''forgot to mention one'' and tried to treat it as if it existed later by just saying ''sorry there was another door'', wouldn't that be similar to what Erika does here?
No, not really. The difference is Beatrice is using her Gamemaster's authority to change the story retroactively, taking advantage of the players' ignorance to sneak out. Erika actually did perform the actions she claims she did in real time, but failed to inform Battler, who honestly should know better. If he was competent, he should have noticed without being told since he's omniscient or some shit.