View Single Post
Old 2013-03-04, 23:03   Link #39
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Since this thread started I thought "The OP do not likes anime/manga/japanese culture (nor is interested in suggestions that might change his mind) and has a specific fetish with african women". I mean, come on, I can understand the part about having a fetish (all the posters that know mine are still trying to forget :3 but why go to a forum where you have no interest in whatsoever? It is a waste of time and energy if you do not enjoy the topic covered at large in the message board.

He will be gone before the bubbles of my inexistant beer disappear.
Sometimes people, who may not have an interest in something, are curious about those who do. I'd be lying if I said I don't see the obvious tones in his opening post, but he is far from the trolls I've had to put down over the years who get their jollies by pissing everyone off.

That said, Asian culture, like many others, is an import/export thing. Unfortunately this has not been true of Africa, but that's due to a huge myriad of reasons that aren't all the result of racism. Especially from an American standpoint, there are big differences in black american culture versus black world cultures. Ditto for blacks in England, which, while I have never been there, are often portrayed in their media quite differently than American blacks. How realistic that portrayal is, I don't know, but then again, I've seen some pretty hilarious and incredibly offensive portrayals of blacks in Japanese culture. Sometimes I wonder how much of it is meant to be offensive though. Or funny.

But you can make this argument for a lot of cultures. The lack of knowledge and the overabundance of stereotypes regarding American understanding of Spanish/Hispanic cultures is staggering. And just from my years of being on many sites with international communities, it's become very easy to spot those who don't really understand American culture at all, beyond our media.

But at least most people are willing to learn. I suppose that's a small hope for humanity.