View Single Post
Old 2006-11-12, 21:19   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, finding voices that match the Japanese voices isn't the goal per se either (even if they could). It's more to find voices that give off the equivalent qualities in the character to an English audience. Sometimes that's actually quite different than the equivalent sounding voice in Japanese. (For example, Eruru's voice does sound like a young but caring/motherly woman, but is a much lower pitch than the Japanese equivalent, and so on.)

I think the main problem asking for dub opinions around here is that it seems a lot of fansub watchers suffer from "voice imprinting" - meaning, they can't detach the character from the first voice they heard. So it doesn't matter whether the dub voice is good, bad, or indifferent; if you've imprinted the voice, any other voice will sound bad. For my part, I don't "imprint" that much, I guess. I always tend to watch the dubs of shows I buy on R1 DVD, even (and especially) when I've already seen the fansubs. I always take it as a reinterpretation of the show, so I don't tend to get too worked up over some liberties (so long as they make sense). For what it's worth, I think the dub voices (at least from those clips provided) do a pretty good job of capturing the personalities of the characters, and there isn't too much in the way of "mouth-flap-fitting" awkwardness (a constant and unenviable struggle for dub actors). If my sisters (who prefer dubs) were to watch the show, I don't think they'd get a different or less favourable impression of the characters due to the voice acting, which is sort of my benchmark. So, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the rest of the show in the dub.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2006-11-13 at 00:13. Reason: fixed a typo ^^;
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote