View Single Post
Old 2008-03-03, 04:00   Link #1830
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I know I said to give this a rest, but I am troubled in spirit, and I feel I need to get this off my chest. (I'm in Malaysia. GMT +8.) Please note that I am not attacking Haru, but Haru's attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
No, you're wrong, I said that you have 2 options, to keep doing what you do the best, or to do something else that can go against your fans, but in both cases you should accept the consequences.
How very hypocritical.

Would you like to know the main reason I dislike your attitude, Haru? It's very simple.

I've lived through this experience.

When I started out as a writer, my wiritngs were aimed at one very specific audience. They kept insisting on me writing things to fit them, to fit their intentions, ideals and tastes, not caring about charecter derailment, OOC, or about the stress they were putting me through. They just cared only about themselves and their own enjoyment. Every word I wrote, every action, was scrutinised and complained about: "We want it this way, Goose, and we want the main canon cast looking dumb, we don't care what you think, you exist to write fanfiction for us." This was the attitude they had.

This is the attitude that Haru is showing.

I finally grew sick of it and washed my hands off the Gatekeepers fandom and moved on, away to a different fandom.

During that time, I was following Haru's intentions for Satashi. I was a slave to the whims of my audience. I was unable to write anything without my audience approving it. One of my audience got pissed at me for writing a charecter with yellow contacts: "NONONO You idiot, she wears GLASSES!" This despite a substantial amount of work establishing this charecter as wearing yellow-tinted contacts. "RETCON IT NAO GOOSE" was her cry.

I wrote. And I was unhappy. Go to FF.net and look at my Gatekeepers fics, Haru. All of them suffered from excessive audience meddling, the audience meddling you are proposing. None of them have been updated in over 3 years. March to the Future, my Gundam SEED fanfic, is also suffering some audience meddling (but to a lesser degree, since it's just one person giving me trouble.)

Then compare to my Nanoha works. In the 4 months I've been on Animesuki and Outer Cadia, I have written more on Nanoha and the OFM than I have written in SIX YEARS. Why? Because my creativity is unleashed. Because I write with freedom. Because I am happy when I write.

A further thought: the 7th Habit of Highly Effective People, as put forth by Stephen R. Covey, is called "Sharpening the Saw." What this means is that you leave what you always do, even if you're very good at it, to try something new and to let your mind rest and reenergise itself. Random writes normal fiction now because he got burned out from all his lemons. Rather than see Satashi burn out from always writing the same old pairings, I would rather see her explore new pairings and approaches, levelling up, as it were.

Ultimately, Haru, it comes down to this: Either you want Satashi to stay with NxF, limiting her and inevitably burning her out, OR you STFU as Satashi explores new possibilities, pairings and approaches in her writing, and levels up. If you don't like it, fine. Don't keep on criticiszing and trying to tear down Satashi. She don't owe you anything - rather, you and your legion owe HER. Suck it up. If you can't, then shut up and ship out.

Your two options, as they were, are thus: continue pushing NxF on Satashi even when she wants to explore other pairings, and shutting up and letting her write what she pleases. Are you ready to accept the consequences?

This is the way I see it. No more. No less. This is how I feel on the matter. I have lived through this experience of being an emotionally blackmailed slave, and I will be DAMNED if I let anybody try to emotionally blackmail another writer.

And with that, I declare this matter closed. End of discussion. Let's move on, people, and if Haru don't like it, he don't have to come to Fanfic.

The opinions expressed in this post are the own opinions of Wild Goose. They are held sincerely and passionately by him, and in no way reflect the opinions of Animesuki, the Fanfiction Thread, the Original Charecter Creation Thread, the Freelance Alliance, or Exile Studios. Wild Goose is not attacking Haru but Haru's attitude.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote